Request for Purchase Order
The Business Office can assist with PO creation for those labs that do not have a Ben Financials purchaser for supply orders. Labs should use the Shopper role to complete a cart in Ben Buys and route to LaRue Rainone with notes on what account should be used for the purchase. For assistance with this process please contact MBoffice@lists.upenn.edu.
Requests for purchase orders for equipment items over $5,000 not through a Preferred Vendor must have three quotes or a bid waiver. When the purchase order is entered, it will ask for a custodian. If it is considered lab equipment, the PI is the custodian. If it is departmental equipment, Don Pijak is the custodian. For assistance with this process please contact MBoffice@lists.upenn.edu.
Please contact our local LSP, Michael Ma, to insure your purchase meets University requirements.
Please submit your order online and enter Derrick Bowman, email@example.com as the approver. You will get a confirmation of the order within 24 hours. Sandra Wiggins will deliver the alcohol to the lab.
The Department of Microbiology provides research support services for Principal Investigators through a cost-sharing mechanism. These services include in-house technical support, service contracts for shared equipment, maintenance of shared equipment including parts and supplies, dry ice, liquid nitrogen, and biohazard trash disposal.
Current rates for Shared Services can be provided by the Business Office.
There are a limited number of procards assigned to each department in the School of Medicine, and all departmental procards cards are currently assigned to existing faculty members. Those who currently hold a university procurement card in the department have the following responsibilities:
- Secure the procard in a locked location so only the cardholder has access to the number.
- Before initiating a transaction, refer to the University commodity matrix to confirm that a PO or c-form would be a more appropriate method of payment.
- Each time the procard is used, email MBoffice@lists.upenn.edu to verify the authorized charge. The email must contain the following information:
- the name of the vendor,
- the total purchase price of the item(s),
- the grant/account where the charge should be allocated,
- and the type of item which was purchased (ie. scientific supply, office supply, book, computer software). This information is needed to transfer the item to the correct account in a timely manner.
- At the end of every month, each procard holder receives a financial statement. It is the responsibility of the procard holder to review this statement, sign it, and return it to the Administrative Office with attached invoices and packing slips; the business purpose should be written on each invoice.
- Tax should never be charged to procard transactions. If tax is charged the vendor needs to be contacted to credit the procard account. Please contact MBOffice@lists.upenn.edu for any transactions involving tax.
- All procard receipts must be saved for seven years. In the event of an audit, the procard holder is required to produce all receipts in an organized manner.
- Failure to follow the above rules will result in card privileges being revoked.
Each procard holder is also required to use the procard in a responsible manner. A complete copy of the Procurement Credit Card user guide, along with card restrictions is available at Penn's procard site.
Travel and Reimbursements
Please visit the Travel Office's website for more information. Expenses submitted more than 182 days after being incurred will not be reimbursed.