Human Resources Information



View more information regarding employment and hiring

International Programs

View more information regarding international programs

Once Hired

View more information regarding what occurs once hired

Time Reporting

All weekly employees are required to submit weekly time sheets to the Administrative Office every Thursday by 3PM. It needs to be signed by both the employee and the supervisor to reflect actual time worked. If an employee is unable to submit this on time, he/she must notify the Administrative Office. If the Administrative Office is not notified, it will be assumed that the employee has been on vacation for the week.

Overtime Request

A weekly employee should not work over 40 hours/week without prior approval of supervisor and a signed overtime request form. Overtime is paid at an hourly rate of one and half times the normal hourly rate, and this is changed to the same fund from which the employee is usually paid. The supervisor should also notify the Administrative Office of overtime arrangements.

The staff member is to elect on the time sheet if he/she would prefer to receive pay or compensatory time for the hours in excess of the standard workweek but less than 40 hours. The substitution of compensatory time off in lieu of monetary compensation for the hours worked when less than 40 hours must be agreed upon in advance by the staff member, supervisor, and Chairperson or CFAO.

Compensatory Time Off

Compensatory time off cannot be substituted for any of the time worked in a workweek in which a staff member works in excess of 40 hours.

Request for Time Off

Request for Time Off Form

For All Monthly and Weekly Paid Personnel

All staff requests for time off must be made in advance to the supervisor. Staff members must submit a request for time-off form to their immediate supervisor for approval at least 3 days in advance. In emergency situations shorter notice may be accepted with the supervisor's approval. When a staff member is sick, the request for time-off sheets should be submitted retroactively and then filed to keep a balance of accrued sick time.

A copy of all requests for time off must be submitted to the Administrative Office, to be filed in the employees personnel file.

Tracking Time Balances

The University payroll system tracks weekly-paid employee's time off when time sheets are processed. Currently, the university does not have the capacity to track time balances for monthly-paid staff employees. (Please note that postdocs do not officially accrue time off, and they are not paid vacation payouts when they leave the university.) It is the responsibility of the supervisor to track vacation and sick time balances for their monthly-paid employees. Here is the Paid Time Off Policy for Staff at the University of Pennsylvania .

This is an important issue because when a staff employee terminates from the university, they are entitled to pay in lieu of unused vacation balance. If no records have been kept, the employee will automatically receive the maximum vacation pay (up to a maximum of 24 days) and it will be charged to the employee salary source at time of termination.


Please refer to the termination policy for guidance in terminating an employee.

When an employee terminates from the university, they need to submit a letter of resignation to the supervisor and administrative office. They also need to return the black key and PENN ID. If they are a staff member, they may be entitled to a vacation pay out. A termination/vacation pay form and proof of unused time must be submitted.

View the vacation payout formula page in order to calculate your payout.

Vacation at Separation pay is paid on Additional Pay Forms; please include the date of termination in the justification. VCT is paid the pay cycle after the employee terminates. Position Discontinuance and Staff Transition (PDST) employees can be paid at the beginning of their layoff, rather than waiting until their last pay. In that case, send the APF (Additional Pay form) with the PDST date in the justification, to HR Staff Relations.

When leaving Penn, the administrative office needs a resignation letter, updated address for W-2, ProCard, Penn ID, Parking card, black key, and regular keys.

No termination will go into effect until a termination letter is provided to the Administrative Office.

(For further information on Personnel policies please visitPenn's Web site on HR policy )

Volunteers/ Courtesy Appointments

Courtesy Appointments

People who have courtesy appointments need to fill out ALL of the new hire paperwork, including tax forms and the Patent and Tangible Research Property form. They will also need an appointment letter from the faculty member stating the terms of the appointment. The minimum record must be met according to School of Medicine policy.

To enter courtesy appointments into payroll, the following fields should be entered along with the required fields:

JOB CLASS: 399057 Courtesy Appt


The status of volunteer is reserved for voluntary service by persons who want to gain educational and practical experience in a chosen career field. The university will not permit any unpaid work to occur on university premises, and a volunteer is not permitted to perform what might be considered “productive” service. The volunteer activities are to be closely and carefully supervised. A Volunteer Packet must be completed and signed before volunteering can begin.

Foreign Nationals who enter the U.S. on a B-2 tourist visa cannot receive a salary of any kind. They can volunteer with a courtesy appointment. All volunteers, whether a foreign national or a U.S. citizen, will need to fill out all of the new hire paperwork, including the Patent and Tangible Research Property form. Minimum record must be met according to School of Medicine policy.

Yearly Performance Evaluation

The Department of Microbiology at The University of Pennsylvania is committed to staff development and believes that the performance appraisal and planning process is an integral part of that development. This process is designed to improve job understanding, promote more effective job performance, and establish future goals for career growth.

The goal of the Performance and Staff Development Program is to provide staff members with feedback on their performance and accomplishments for the previous year. This program should also assist staff members in understanding their job responsibilities and supervisor's performance expectations. Performance goals for the upcoming year and specific plans to help staff members meet those goals should also be established through this process.

Other HR Information

View additional human resources information